Monday 6 May 2013

More DIY Rainbow Crossings in Tempe

The DIY Rainbow Crossing movement continues on the streets of Tempe.  And in my opinion, the latest in the series of chalk rainbows is by far the best!  So I thought it deserved another post.  After seeing photos on the Tempe Facebook page of this fantastic rainbow crossing, I had to get down there and see it for myself.  So when my 19 week old needed to go for a walk in the pram yesterday, I used the opportunity to check it out and take my own photos.

DIY Rainbow Crossing, Samuel Street Tempe.



Kim's Daughter, Hayden on her DIY Rainbow Crossing.
Kim Skildum-Reid created this fantastic DIY Rainbow Crossing across Samuel Street in Tempe.  Samuel Street is probably the widest of the residential streets in Tempe, and is a lovely quiet street, the perfect canvas for a Rainbow Crossing.

As Kim created her crossing out of chalk to achieve this vibrant rainbow, I asked her to share the recipe / technique with us.



"For each stripe, it required:

* 4 cups (600g) Cornflour

* 800-900 ml water

* 1/4 cup flour

* LOTS of food colouring (most batches required a whole bottle)

I mixed each colour in advance in six x 75 cent Kmart buckets. You need to stir gently, as it goes all hard and clumpy when you stir hard. If that happens, just stir gently and it will once again play nice.
We applied it with a paint roller, but it could certainly be done with a paintbrush.
It's a bit subdued at first, but gets really bright when it dries."




IKEA Tempe Rainbow
We also spotted a rainbow on the floor at IKEA Tempe this week.

I'm not sure if they installed it as part of the movement or if it was just a coincidence, but either way I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment