Tuesday 30 April 2013

De-Cluttering Techniques

This is a follow-on from last week's post about the places that I donate to or where I sell the unwanted items from my quarterly clear-outs. I thought more detail about my system for de-cluttering may help others facing this task.

I'm more comfortable in a minimal styled space, and get stressed put when I'm surrounded by clutter.  Most of my friends and family are aware that I am eternally clearing out.  I've inherited this trait from my Nanna.

In the past I have actually been asked by a couple of friends for my suggestions of where to start, and most recently by my Mum when they moved house.

So below I'd like to share my top tips.  Some will be obvious, but it doesn't hurt to see them in black and white to help get you motivated!
In the process of de-cluttering the kitchen dresser, so I can sell it.

*  Look at your clutter from a purely practical point of view.  Put aside emotion for just a moment.

*  You get to keep one "box of memories".  A box of keep-sakes, treasures etc.  Buy a nice box that seals well to keep the dust and silverfish out, and find a spot to keep it which is out of the way but easily accessible.

*  Set up a cardboard box marked 'charity', one marked 'rubbish', one marked 'keep', another marked 'sell' and any other relevant labels.

*  Ask a friend or family member to help.  This gets the job done quicker and also helps you to stay on track and motivated.

*  Start with one room at a time, or if there's a lot of clutter in one room, work with one cupboard, drawer or box at a time.

*  Try to remember when you last used each item.  If it has been longer than 3 months, it has to go.

*  If you're holding onto an item 'in case' you might need it in the future, put it in a cardboard box, write today's date on it, and the date in 3 months time.  When you come across the box in your next clear out, sort through it and if none of it has been touched it has to go!

*  When possible, try to bring your items into an area with natural light to sort through them.  Sitting in a dark space will make the job even harder.

*  With everything you do keep, try to put it away in an organised way so you avoid it becoming clutter again in the future.  My favourite way of storing things in cupboards is in boxes.  Particularly the clear plastic SAMLA series boxes from IKEA.  They stack well, come in multiple sizes and you can see the contents easily.  Labels stuck to the front help identify the contents too.

*  Find a picture of a room that you would love your finished room to look like, and keep it in view while you're sorting.

*  Set a deadline for achieving your end goal.  If it's a room be realistic and allow a few sessions.  If it's one cupboard or set of drawers it should be achievable in one day, especially with the help of a friend.

*  Clear out regularly.  If you frequently do small amounts of clearing it won't mount up to a mammoth task.  I suggest starting with a quarterly clearing session.  Use the start of each season as a reminder.

*  And last of all, try to enjoy it.  You'll feel cleansed and satisfied when you finish, so focus on the end result if you start to feel overwhelmed.

I could probably go on and on for pages with more de-cluttering techniques, but I think this is enough for you to get stuck in!

2 comments:

  1. What advice do you have to combat EXTREMELY decluttering-resistant partners? ;)

    Seriously though, this is great, if only I could get my overly-sentimental hubby on board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dad is very resistant to de-cluttering, to the point where he would "reclaim" items back from boxes that were going to charity!

      My advice is baby steps. Start by simply 'organising' all the things he wants to keep. If it's all nice and tidy in smart boxes it's a step in the right direction, without him feeling like he's having to throw any of his precious things away. You may find that as you're doing this he may be open to getting rid of some things because you haven't started the exercise with him feeling like he's being forced to give anything up...

      Good luck!

      Delete